You may find it useful to keep the following items in an 'emergency box' in your home in case of incidents:
- Torch and batteries - remember to check the batteries every now and then;
- Candles and matches in a safe container;
- Portable radio and batteries;
- Something to drink - cans of drink, bottled water, etc;
- Notebook, pens and pencils;
- Something to occupy any children.
Make sure medicines, toiletries, spare contact lenses, etc. are easily available to put in the box when necessary.
Further information on preparing yourself, your family, your business and your community can be found on the government web site
For weather preparedness, see the Met Office Weather Ready campaign
For flooding advice, see Environment Agency wesbite