What to do in a major incident
Incidents can happen anywhere, at any time.
If you are affected by an incident remember this important advice:
- If you are a witness, dial 999 and alert the police, fire or ambulance services.
- If you are in a building that is on fire - get out and stay out.
- If you are stranded in your home, tune in to your local radio station and television for advice - listen out for emergency telephone numbers.
- Pass on any warnings to neighbours and check on the elderly and disabled, if it is safe to do so.
- Limit your telephone calls - this helps prevent clogging the lines with unnecessary calls and allows the emergency services and others to use the lines if necessary.
In most incidents you will be advised to shelter where you are.